Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Stuffed Peppers

I found this on LowCarbLuxury.com, played with it a little, based on what I had in my kitchen at that moment and was amazed at how tasty it came out. The only thing I really miss about the stuffed peppers from my childhood is the sauce to put over maqshed potatoes, but all in all, it's a satisfying low carb version. I used chicken chorizo that was on special at the International Market that week but any sausage would work.


4 large bell peppers, cut in half, tops, seeds & inner membranes cleaned out
1 lb ground sirloin
1 lb chicken chorizo (or sausage)
1 small onion, diced (my Hamilton Beach chopper was great for this)
6-8 smallish Roma tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
oregano, pepper & fennel seed to taste
6 ounces reduced fat Feta cheese, crumpled
1/2 cup grated parmesean (or romano)cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook ground sirloin and chorizo over medium heat. Drain thoroughly. Add onions, garlic, tomatoes, garlic and spices and simmer 20 minutes on low.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Fill pepper halves with meat mixture and top with the cheeses.

Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home