Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tuna Melt Burritos

This started out as a recipe from Dana Carpenter's 15 Min Low Carb Meals, but I left out the Rice Protein power she suggested since the South Beach diet doesn't advocate using protein power and mostly because I really didn't want to have a container of Rice Protein Powder gathering dust in my pantry. I also didn't have a food processor to prepare as she suggested so diced finely and gave it a mostly ineffectual whir through my blender.

For whatever reason, the mixture just would not hold together to cook as the fritters they were meant to be, but I managed to salvage the meal by tossing everything into a low carb tortilla that I happened to have on hand. The result was surprisingly tasty... especially for a recipe I thought I'd ruined.

Makes 3-4 Burritos

1 stalk celery, diced semi-fine
6 scallions, diced semi-fine
1/2 green pepper, diced semi-fine (though I wonder if a red pepper for a bit of colour wouldn't work better next time)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 egg
2 6 ounce cans of albacore tuna, drained and large chunks broken up (non albacore would also work)

ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
low carb tortillas
low fat shredded cheddar to taste

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Combine celery, scallions, peppers, parsley, mustard, egg & tuna in a bowl until well mixed. Dump into the heated skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.

While tuna mixture is cooking, open tortillas on plates. Once cooked, divide the mixture between the tortillas and scatter a small handful of low fat shredded cheddar over each. Microwave each plate for 60-90 seconds (depending on how cold the cheese is). Rpll up into a burrito and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home