Sunday, April 02, 2006

How this all came to be...

My excuse for not exercising & eating right had always been: no time. High Stress job, no convenient gym and no real motivation. I'd never been thin (I was a size 16 throughout college) but I'd always felt attractive...

Then I moved about 6 years ago. Hated the city, hated the job (high stress, underpaid and very under appreciated) Somehow I was a size 24 before I knew it. I was avoiding looking at the scale at the doctors office, shopping for clothes was a chore and I tried not to look in the mirror after a shower.

This past January I moved out of state to Atlanta to be with my partner after 3 years of long distance and job hunt in my new city. No 8 to 6 schedule, no stress and an exercise room and a pool in the new apartment complex. And a climate that was far too warm to hide in my bulky sweaters & turtlenecks half the year.

And somehow in my first three months here I managed to avoid the exercise room and actually gain weight... I pulled out my summer clothes and...they didn't fit.

Since I was job hunting and home during the day and exercising was merely a walk up to the exercise room, I decided I was out of excuses and it was time to get my act together. I was still eating like a college student who was walking miles a day around campus and my exercise had dropped to absolute zero.

I don't have a scale and don't intend to buy one. Watching my weight fluctuate pound by pound on a daily basis just drives me batty. I'll let my clothes (all 4 different sizes of them) tell me that I'm losing weight.

I went with the South Beach diet since it seemed the healthiest as a new way of eating. (Despite friends claiming Atkins was the best thing since sliced bread, it made absolutely no sense to me.) The problem was: I really didn't like many of the recipes they had on their website. So I set out to understand the diet and find/adapt recipes that I did like...

I decided I was succeeding when my partner was commenting: "wow.. this is really good!" when I served up dinner. So since so many people were asking about cookbooks/new recipes on the South Beach boards, I thought I'd start blogging my successes and failures in hopes someone else could make use of my experimentation.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home